1. Greetings Everyone,

After the great help I've gotten and the successful `completion' of the last addon. (Healing with users names and delta-health colours for healers and option interface for setting click-actions.) I came up with a new addon, but before I start I need to know if something is possible.

I want to hide the icons on the minimap. (The icons like banker and auctioneer/trainer, not the buttons.) First I assumed that the icons were an overlay on the background of the minimap. But if this is an incorrect assumption to the extend that the background and icons are one, then the addon is not going to work. I need to hide/add icons to the minimap as I go and therefore would like to get access to the `layer' on which the icons reside.

I've tried /framestack and googling, but I can't find the solution. (Framestack insists that when I mouseover an Icon that it is a gametooltip, which is correct, because it displays one on mouseover.) And trial-and-error has gotten me so far that I hid the Looking-glass-button instead of the actual on-map icons.

Hope someone has experience with this or can point me in the right direction!:D Thank you in advance!:D

2. You can neither interact, nor detect the presence of the minimap 'dots', unfortunately.

3. Mhmmm, I did fear that. Sorry to hear, but I guess there is nothing to do about it. Thanks for the information! (Saves me from looking all over the place for a solution.)

4. No worries!

5. You can hide them by turning off tracking for each type.

If you want to automate this with an addon, see tracking functions.

6. If all you want to do is hide a class of icons, sure, you can just turn off the tracking type as Cayenne says. Much more than that, however, and you run into a brick wall.

7. I believe the only other icons that are stuck on the minimap are quests and people, so there isn't a ton left to be "a whole lot more". I'll guess that quests fall into the category that wants to be hidden, but there aren't too many of them to be a real nuisance, and people aren't.

Or if you mean finer control. But I couldn't think of conditions where someone would want to hide one vendor and not another for example.

ETA: If you want to be able to hide other things, some of the minimap methods allow you to change icons for things; you could make blank icons. This would require some work in a graphics program to get something of the right format.

It looks like the only thing you can't do is control individual instances of game-provided icons.

8. Few lucky I checked back on the thread.(to bad there is no mail notification...or is there?:D)

Thanks for all your suggestions. The problem is I'm always looking for my party/guild members in the big cities and the vendors and other icons always block the view when trying to locate them. On the other hand when I'm somewhere new I need to see the icons to locate the vendors/repair.

So...I wanted to make a addon to remove the icons around the player icon. But this does not seem to be possible(due to the limited interaction with minimap icons). I can however use the tracking options suggested and just check-off everything when a party member is near and re-check when they leave the minimap range. (Or only enable in areas where I've never been before longer than an x amount of time. Any way, I'll make it work. :D)

Thank you all for your responses and I can't wait for the book to arrive(1-2days to go) then I can learn even more!:D

9. I don't know of any email support either, you can subscribe with an RSS reader.

10. Few lucky I checked back on the thread.(to bad there is no mail notification...or is there?:D)

Unfortunately no, but each post (and each forum) has an RSS feed you can subscribe to.

Thanks for all your suggestions. The problem is I'm always looking for my party/guild members in the big cities and the vendors and other icons always block the view when trying to locate them. On the other hand when I'm somewhere new I need to see the icons to locate the vendors/repair.

So...I wanted to make a addon to remove the icons around the player icon. But this does not seem to be possible(due to the limited interaction with minimap icons). I can however use the tracking options suggested and just check-off everything when a party member is near and re-check when they leave the minimap range. (Or only enable in areas where I've never been before longer than an x amount of time. Any way, I'll make it work. :D)

My suggestion is to just create a custom key binding that when held down hides all tracking options so you can see your party/guild and then show them again when you release the button. That seems like it might approximate what you need and be pretty slick too!

Thank you all for your responses and I can't wait for the book to arrive(1-2days to go) then I can learn even more!:D

Great!

11. If you wanted to do something complex, another way you could make an addon serve your purpose would be to call UnitInRange every few seconds or so and make all the icons disappear when a party member was nearby.