1. Hello everyone. I'm a new guy who's trying to get into the programming world. Now, I learned the basics, like the Hello World tutorials etc. My question is, what should I start doing now? I'm on my holidays so I don't have WoW installed. Before trying addons, I'd like to see basics.

Thanks in advice!

2. After posting a link to a repository of addons for vanilla wow, after I stated quite clearly that I was not willing to help someone on private servers? Enjoy getting your help elsewhere!

EDIT: Including my Addons. Fail.

3. You didn't want to help that guy, I did want to. What's wrong?

EDIT: Oh you deleted my reply, you're a GM? So helping guys that play on Private servers is not allowed? I did not know that..

4. You didn't want to help that guy, I did want to. What's wrong?

This is my website. This is my website about the book that Iw rote.

EDIT: Oh you deleted my reply, you're a GM? So helping guys that play on Private servers is not allowed? I did not know that..

Now you do. If you're interested in learning about addons, I suggest you buy a copy of my book. The second edition is a great introduction to learning how to write addons for World of Warcraft.

I should clarify that this is a website for me to provide assistance to the readers of the book. I'm happy to help you if you have questions regarding that material, but there are other forums that exist for general WoW addon questions. I'm happy to point you towards those!

5. I got it. About the book, well, I can't buy it. I would buy it immediately if I had the age. I am 19, but where I live it's required to be 21 to apply for a Credit Card. I'll try and ask my father about it, maybe..

6. I should clarify that this is a website for me to provide assistance to the readers of the book. I'm happy to help you if you have questions regarding that material, but there are other forums that exist for general WoW addon questions. I'm happy to point you towards those!

Myself. I,m new to coding for wow. i can understand you are the author of this book... but the forum this thread is in . Is labeled:

Development Discuss anything related to the development of addons for World of Warcraft, including help and support for writing code.

Certainly. But if you look at the forums you will see fairly clearly that there are about three people who post regularly on these forums. There are several forums that are much higher profile, such as the default UI forums, and the wowinterface.com forums that can help you.

Considering this site is the site. All those other sites link you to . I was going to ask a question here. But being this is the first thread i read. and your response as the author of this site. Has discouraged me in posting any questions in this forum... and also has changed my mind about buying the book. Personally maybe you should change the forum description to :

Development Discuss anything related to the development of addons for World of Warcraft, including help and support for those that have bought my book.

Now i will look for help somewhere else. Since you only ALLOW help if they buy the book...

I should clarify that this is a website for me to provide assistance to the readers of the book.

EDIT: my addon has 314 downloads last month . was wanting to take it in a new direction...

I understand. I was attempting to make sure you actually get some help. Seven years ago when I was in a very different position in a very different job I would have had time to sit and dig into your question and help you to both of our heart's content. As it stands, I do not these days. I still take time out of my day to answer questions about the book, because I feel that I have an obligation to my readers. I also answer questions in the other sections of the site as I have time.

My goal was not to dissuade you from posting here. My goal was to make sure that you actually got an answer to your question. There are about three people including myself who actually post here. Any of those other sites have tens, hundreds, and even thousands.

You are welcome to post your questions here, of course. But if they don't get answered in a timely manner, I'll refer you back to this post.

Happy Addon Development!

7. Yeah, now I'm a bit confused. This is the first time I see a post from tartarusspawn here.

This is a post from someone asking for information needed for developing addons for private servers. That sort of discussion will never be allowed here, anywhere on the site. They also will not be allowed on pretty much any other legitimate addon development forum. So I'm not sure I understand what your post is referencing..

8. im not the original poster. me i 37 years old .and the other site a about useless. considering they all refer you to here. personally i wish there was an updated version of addon studio that i could plug ace 3 into. considering it tuturial has ac2 but no options for ace 2....

They do not refer you to here for forum posts, they refer you here for the API documentation, which is still quite extensive. http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api. They are also suggesting that if you want to learn about addon development or about different advanced topics, that the book is a good place to look. They're right.

Unfortunately Addon Studio is no longer supported by the small team at Microsoft that was working on them, as far as I understand. There is a great IntelliJ plugin for Lua that has many things, but I don't think it integrates natively with Ace3.

9. Yeah, now I'm a bit confused. This is the first time I see a post from tartarusspawn here.

This is a post from someone asking for information needed for developing addons for private servers. That sort of discussion will never be allowed here, anywhere on the site. They also will not be allowed on pretty much any other legitimate addon development forum. So I'm not sure I understand what your post is referencing..

no this is the first thread i as a new user reads. and was disappointed in the author of this sites views.....

Then I hope I've better clarified my views. I am one person providing support for the readers of my book. People can post questions about the book (in the other forum, as you indicated) or more general questions here. This helps to keep things separate so people can look somewhere for 'issues with the book', and another for overall help.

I'm happy to provide help. I am not happy to provide help for someone who is developing addons for private servers.

10. Having written the AceDB3 plugin, I use it in my addons. It handles defaults well, profile segregation, and lots of other things without being very heavyweight at all.

If you're going to do it on your own, you will need to make sure that you manage it properly. The basic idea is that you set the SavedVariable, and then wait for your addon's ADDON_LOADED event before doing anything with it. You can organize it however you want, so you could certainly have it look like you're proposing.

11. The API is fully categorised: http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api_categories#guild You can see GetGuildInfo just a bit down the list, fully documented.

No example necessary for most of these functions, just a matter of finding which one you want. Many of the functions do have examples, when they are more difficult than the simple function signature.

12. im not the original poster. me i 37 years old .and the other site a about useless. considering they all refer you to here. personally i wish there was an updated version of addon studio that i could plug ace 3 into. considering it tuturial has ac2 but no options for ace 2....

They do not refer you to here for forum posts, they refer you here for the API documentation, which is still quite extensive. http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api. They are also suggesting that if you want to learn about addon development or about different advanced topics, that the book is a good place to look. They're right.

Unfortunately Addon Studio is no longer supported by the small team at Microsoft that was working on them, as far as I understand. There is a great IntelliJ plugin for Lua that has many things, but I don't think it integrates natively with Ace3.

Just wanted to clarify that 'AddOn Studio' is very much still alive, and is just no longer maintained at codeplex. There has been fairly consistant active support since late 2010.

There is a new project template now for Ace3 and I believe there is a tutorial for getting started. These did not exist in the older version 2.0 product.

AddOn Studio 2010 or World of Warcraft at http://www.wowwiki.com/AddOnStudio2010