1. Hi,

first of all thanks for the great website, its been invaluable in creating my first addon.

The problem im having is collecting information on users in custom channels. I was wondering if its possible to return names/guilds of all users in a custom channel?

essentially what ListChannelByName() does, but with usable data and not an output?

thanks for any help.

2. That API call will always require communication with the server, but you can catch the CHAT_MSG_CHANNEL_LIST event in order to get the information. This means messing with the chat frame to make sure it doesn't get displayed, but that's not great.

You may be able to use GetNumChannelMembers and GetChannelRosterInfo to get the information directly. I'd look there, and here: http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api_categories#channel

3. Hi again,

thanks for the help, ive managed to make some great progress but have hit yet another snag.

Im currently checking to see if the player has owner or moderator for a channel by using:

SetSelectedDisplayChannel(channelID);
     isOwner = IsDisplayChannelOwner();
     isModerator = IsDisplayChannelModerator();

However, regardless of my status, both variables are always nil. I am currently in a channel on my own and both results return nil, despite the ingame command and the API call to change owner, working sucessfully.

Have you any idea why these wont return 1? The channelID is correct, and i can change owner of the channel fine (even after the code above telling me im not the owner).

any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. I can't reproduce this, so I have to assume you're selecting the wrong channel. Try the following:

1. Join a new chat channel so you are owner/moderator
    2. Open the chat window
    3. Select the channel
    4. run /dump GetSelectedDisplayChannel() to ensure you have the right index
    5. Then select another channel and verify that the return changes
    6. /run SetSelectedDisplayChannel() with the index you got before
    7. /dump IsDisplayChannelOwner()

It should return 1, and it does for me.