1. Hello,

First let me say that the book (2d edition) is brilliant, I could not be happier with my decision to buy a copy. In just a couple weeks I've been able to build a couple of snazzy add-ons that have enhanced my guild's raiding experience. To the authors, thanks so much for your hard work and contributions to the WoW add-on development community.

My question concerns frame resizing, specifically how to handle the contents of an inner/child frame when a user resizes the outer/parent frame. Consider, for example, the Blizzard template "ButtonFrameTemplate" which is an outer portrait frame with an inner inset frame. I know how to design the add-on so that when the parent is resized, the inset frame (and anything anchored to it) resizes as well. But I would like to design my add-on so that the inset frame remains a fixed size, and resizing the outer frame would "clip" the inset frame instead of resizing it. (The parent's MaxResize is equal to the inset frame's size, so it's not possible to grow the parent larger than the inset.)

So here's an example: Suppose the inset frame's background texture is a chessboard with all the pieces in opening positions. When I resize the parent frame smaller, I don't want the chessboard to shrink; I want it to stay the same size, so that only a portion of the chessboard is visible. Anything beyond the boundaries of the parent frame would be invisible/unclickable.

Possible?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hello,

First let me say that the book (2d edition) is brilliant, I could not be happier with my decision to buy a copy. In just a couple weeks I've been able to build a couple of snazzy add-ons that have enhanced my guild's raiding experience. To the authors, thanks so much for your hard work and contributions to the WoW add-on development community.

Thanks for the kind words!

My question concerns frame resizing, specifically how to handle the contents of an inner/child frame when a user resizes the outer/parent frame. Consider, for example, the Blizzard template "ButtonFrameTemplate" which is an outer portrait frame with an inner inset frame. I know how to design the add-on so that when the parent is resized, the inset frame (and anything anchored to it) resizes as well. But I would like to design my add-on so that the inset frame remains a fixed size, and resizing the outer frame would "clip" the inset frame instead of resizing it. (The parent's MaxResize is equal to the inset frame's size, so it's not possible to grow the parent larger than the inset.)

So here's an example: Suppose the inset frame's background texture is a chessboard with all the pieces in opening positions. When I resize the parent frame smaller, I don't want the chessboard to shrink; I want it to stay the same size, so that only a portion of the chessboard is visible. Anything beyond the boundaries of the parent frame would be invisible/unclickable.

Hrm. Probably the most straightforward way to do it is to use a ScrollFrame, and just don't allow scrolling. It's the only way I know of to clip frames reliably.

3. Of course! That's exactly what I need. The scroll bars will be useful, as well. Thank you for the prompt and helpful reply.