1. heya im trying to make an addon that "detects" mobs in the area

i know you can do it by checking the groups targets or checking the combat log to see where damage goes to

but i was wondering how to detect if a mob is in range if you have the name/GUID of that specific mob

examples npcscan (gives warning when you get close to a rare mob) -> no clue how they do it

deadly boss mobs either just a timer (i guess) or scans just like npcscan

if someone could give me a snippet or just a step by step thingy that would be great

example: get the guid, use this function to check it (or something)

ps: ive tried to look at the lua code from npcscan but cant figur it out how it checks if the mob is in close range of urself

2. heya im trying to make an addon that "detects" mobs in the area

i know you can do it by checking the groups targets or checking the combat log to see where damage goes to

but i was wondering how to detect if a mob is in range if you have the name/GUID of that specific mob

examples npcscan (gives warning when you get close to a rare mob) -> no clue how they do it

They do it by checking the cache to see if information about a given mob has been loaded. You can't really use this technique.

deadly boss mobs either just a timer (i guess) or scans just like npcscan

if someone could give me a snippet or just a step by step thingy that would be great

example: get the guid, use this function to check it (or something)

ps: ive tried to look at the lua code from npcscan but cant figur it out how it checks if the mob is in close range of urself

What you wan't can't really be done. There is no way to translate a GUID to a unit, and you can't get any information about entities in the world that aren't units. In order to determine if you are in range of a mob, it needs to be your target, your focus, or the target or focus of someone in your raid, party, or raid/party pets.