1. I am also new to programming like a lot of other posts before me. I have also looked through the posts on this forum up to 2008 for what I am curious of.

So on that note, I'm trying to update some addons for Cataclysm Beta so that I may use them now, but I am having trouble getting spell id's. I have heard that you can scan tooltips or use the combatlogevent_unfiltered. But those things are so vague I don't know what to do.

Thx

2. I am also new to programming like a lot of other posts before me. I have also looked through the posts on this forum up to 2008 for what I am curious of.

So on that note, I'm trying to update some addons for Cataclysm Beta so that I may use them now, but I am having trouble getting spell id's. I have heard that you can scan tooltips or use the combatlogevent_unfiltered. But those things are so vague I don't know what to do.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, where do you want to get the spell ids from? What source? You can get them from pretty much anywhere, but it depends on what you're trying to do. Could you please provide some more information? There's no 'just one way' to do it.

3. Im just trying to retrieve the updated spell id's from the spells in the game, so that I may update them in my addon.

4. The best place to get them is from wowhead, since there's no way to get all of the possible different spell IDs from within the game in a feasible way. If you want the IDs of the spells in your spellbook, that's a different story. It's the second return from GetSpellBookItemInfo.