1. I know the basics of giving a variable a value, but I've seen something that I'm not totally sure I understand.

Blah1 = (Blah2 == 0 and Blah3 or Blah2)

Now, is the first part just like a if comparison? and if not, where would I figure out how that process works?

Sorry if this is kind of confusing, I've been stuck for a bit, trying to figure out this. x.x

2. I know the basics of giving a variable a value, but I've seen something that I'm not totally sure I understand.

Blah1 = (Blah2 == 0 and Blah3 or Blah2)

Now, is the first part just like a if comparison? and if not, where would I figure out how that process works?

Sorry if this is kind of confusing, I've been stuck for a bit, trying to figure out this. x.x

This sort of construction is covered in Chapter 2, when we discuss the boolean and and or operators. Fully expanded, it's doing roughly the following:

if Blah2 == 0 then
       Blah1 = Blah3
     else
       Blah1 = Blah2
     end

This is accomplished using the short circuit evaluation of bolean expression. More information can be found here and here.

3. Oh wow, that makes so much more sense now. Thanks! ( I am so buying this book asap. )