1. The mod I am working on has a basic frame that displays information. I would like to build a tooltip that displays more advanced information. I went thru chapter 24 in the book, and I've coded the tooltip. It works beautifully when I test it in WowLua. It attaches to my frame and displays just like I want. My problem is when I take the code from WowLua and try to make it show and hide in my mod, it doesn't show up and/or I get errors.

I have searched this site and a few others looking for examples or something to show me how it's done. I found a topic here that pretty much matched my question (lua newbie question). The code that was given as an example to help doesn't seem to work. I tested it in WowLua and even made it into a quick and easy mod.

This is the code provided:

local function OnEnter(self)
        GameTooltip:SetOwner(self, "ANCHOR_CURSOR")
        GameTooltip:SetText("tooltipTitle")  
        GameTooltip:AddLine("This is the contents of my tooltip", 1, 1, 1)
        GameTooltip:Show()
     end

local function OnLeave(self)
        GameTooltip:Hide()
     end

local f = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, UIParent)
     f:SetFrameStrata("MEDIUM")
     f:SetWidth(50)
     f:SetHeight(50)
     f:SetScript("OnEnter", OnEnter)
     f:SetScript("OnLeave", OnLeave)
     local t = f:CreateTexture(nil, "BACKGROUND")
     t:SetTexture(1, 1, 1, 1)
     t:SetAllPoints(true)
     f.texture = t

f:SetPoint("CENTER", 0, 0)
     f:Show()

It was missing a ")" after the frame was created and I made the box smaller. Aside from that the code is the same.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

2. Either make it a "Button" instead of a "Frame", or call f:EnableMouse(true). They changed the behaviour of frames somewhat (As compared to frames) and this should resolve your issue.

3. That worked when the LUA maked the frame. If my frame is created from the XML, how do I do customeFrame:SetScript("OnEnter", OnEnter) and customFrame:SetScript("OnLeave", OnLeave). When I run the mod, I get an error that says attempt to index a global 'customFrame' (a nil value).

4. In XML, you can do it right in a <Scripts> block.

<Frame name="MyFrame" enableMouse="true">
       <Scripts>
         <OnEnter>
           -- Write Lua code here
           -- You have access to self, etc.  For example:
           print("Entering", self:GetName())
         </OnEnter>
         <OnLeave>
           print("Leaving", self:GetName())
         </OnLeave>
       </Scripts>
     </Frame>