1. Hello. I have an idea for an innervate addon that allows players to whisper me with a keyword (like innervate or vate or something along those lines) and have the addon flash that person's name up on my screen so they can get an innervate. The addon would then remove the heads up notice when i hit my innervate button and whisper back that player that either they successfully recieved a vate (meaning it was off cooldown) or a message saying that it is still on cooldown for ___x amount of time. Is this something that is possible? any suggestions on how i could go about writing something like this? i'm an intermediate level programmer with a fairly good knowledge of lua. I just need some tips to get me started.

2. Hello. I have an idea for an innervate addon that allows players to whisper me with a keyword (like innervate or vate or something along those lines) and have the addon flash that person's name up on my screen so they can get an innervate. The addon would then remove the heads up notice when i hit my innervate button and whisper back that player that either they successfully recieved a vate (meaning it was off cooldown) or a message saying that it is still on cooldown for ___x amount of time. Is this something that is possible? any suggestions on how i could go about writing something like this? i'm an intermediate level programmer with a fairly good knowledge of lua. I just need some tips to get me started.

As long as you don't want a button that you can click to cast the spell for you (it's not possible) then yes, it can definitely be done. You'd need to register to listen to incoming whispers using CHAT_MSG_WHISPER. You'll also need to check for the cooldown on the spell (so you can auto-respond if it's on cooldown). In order to see you cast the spell, and see if it got on the other player, you'll need to parse the combat log using the COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED event.