1. Hi,

I've been trying to figure out the best way to detect that the player character has joined a guild, party, raid or battleground (not when another player has joined). I'm assuming there's a simple and efficient way to do this. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Widget

P.S. World of Warcraft Programming is excellent. I'm hoping there'll be a second edition soon, and that it will go into Lua-only addon development in much more detail.

2. I've been trying to figure out the best way to detect that the player character has joined a guild, party, raid or battleground (not when another player has joined). I'm assuming there's a simple and efficient way to do this. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

PARTY_MEMBERS_CHANGED and RAID_ROSTER_UPDATE take care of party and raid, and likely battleground as well. I don't know about guild.. I'd suggest having someone in your party join/leave your guild in order to test. Just see what events fire.

P.S. World of Warcraft Programming is excellent. I'm hoping there'll be a second edition soon, and that it will go into Lua-only addon development in much more detail.

The second edition is almost done being edited, but we still use XML where appropriate. People who want Lua only are asking to write convoluted code to do the things that are incredibly simple with templates. Always use the right tool for the right job =)