1. First, I love this book. I've worked with programming in several languages before, and I was overjoyed when I found out Lua was based on lisp/scheme, java and C, which basically sums most of my programming experience. However, I have a few questions.

First, I know this has been reported before, but the link to download lua-wow in the book is broken or changed.

Second, I found the Windows version of a lua-wow interpreter, and have been playing with it for the first couple chapters of the book. Everything works great, but I'm starting to wonder how I can make a script to execute on launch that contains all of my previous work. I know I would have to type this all up in notepad++ or something, and save it as a .lua, but I have no idea how to execute the script within the interpreter. I found some stuff with a google search, but it doesn't seem to be working, and the api on the loadfile function isn't complete enough for me to be sure I'm doing it right.

I realize at some point I'm going to do all my lua in WoW, but for learning it, I'd rather tackle it like I did with scheme - loading and running scripts that I can edit in notepad, so I can work with and comprehend larger chunks of data than my brain would otherwise process on the command line interface.

Thanks!

2. First, I know this has been reported before, but the link to download lua-wow in the book is broken or changed.

Please tell me what URL you are going to, and where the link is so I can fix it.

Second, I found the Windows version of a lua-wow interpreter, and have been playing with it for the first couple chapters of the book. Everything works great, but I'm starting to wonder how I can make a script to execute on launch that contains all of my previous work. I know I would have to type this all up in notepad++ or something, and save it as a .lua, but I have no idea how to execute the script within the interpreter. I found some stuff with a google search, but it doesn't seem to be working, and the api on the loadfile function isn't complete enough for me to be sure I'm doing it right.

You can just create a mystuff.lua file with your code, and then you should be able to run it with something like:

lua -i mystuff.lua

The -i will tell Lua to run the file and then start up the normal interpreter.

I realize at some point I'm going to do all my lua in WoW, but for learning it, I'd rather tackle it like I did with scheme - loading and running scripts that I can edit in notepad, so I can work with and comprehend larger chunks of data than my brain would otherwise process on the command line interface.

Nope, that's completely okay. The first few chapters don't need WoW at all.

3. First, I know this has been reported before, but the link to download lua-wow in the book is broken or changed.

Please tell me what URL you are going to, and where the link is so I can fix it.

http://wowprogramming.com/downloads/lua/windows

I know someone mentioned this on the WoW forums, then said they'd made a post about it here. Page 6 in the book, btw.

You can just create a mystuff.lua file with your code, and then you should be able to run it with something like:

lua -i mystuff.lua

The -i will tell Lua to run the file and then start up the normal interpreter.

Awesome, I'll play with this.

Nope, that's completely okay. The first few chapters don't need WoW at all.

Thanks for the incredibly speedy reply. I wasn't expecting to get at the internet until tonight, but I refreshed the page before shutdown and BAM! ^.^

4. Ah, you can download it here

5. Wondering, since I'm usually on a linux/unix and know how to load with operators, how I would tell a program to load with -i and other options in vista? I've done it in XP to set up some initial gaming options, but I can't look at that setup atm and am not sure what I should call the action to googlesearch it :(

6. You do it the same way in Vista as you do it in Linux.. you just pass the commandline switches to the executable.

7. Ahh, see, I don't use the command line in windows. Still, I've done it somehow before. I'll figure it out.

8. You should use the commandline then.. or change the properties of the shortcut to include the switches.

9. You should use the commandline then.. or change the properties of the shortcut to include the switches.

Aha! That was the hint I needed. Thanks much :D