1. I have just purchased the book today, and am still waiting for it to be delivered. However, I wanted to ask before I got ahead of myself here.

Is it possible to create a bank log, that's much better than the current Guild Bank Log? I have a few ideas to toss around. With the first one being: Whenever someone takes something from the guild bank, or deposits into the guild bank, I want to get that information (who took it?, what did they take?, when did they take it?, what tab did they take it from?, and maybe anything else I can think of) and store it in a text file or something, and maybe put it on my website in the future. I have an extra character named "Bankmaster" that I use that is always standing at a bank, and I use an addon to sort my bank for me. So if the problem is needing a character to be logged on for it to work, that's plausible.

Also, I think it would be really nice if my "Bankmaster" character could whisper to my main character when any item(s) are taken and what they are in game. My guild has had a small problem with theft, nothing too serious, but I'd like to find out more.

Thanks guys, and I cannot wait to start reading the book when it arrives!

2. I have just purchased the book today, and am still waiting for it to be delivered. However, I wanted to ask before I got ahead of myself here.

Is it possible to create a bank log, that's much better than the current Guild Bank Log? I have a few ideas to toss around. With the first one being: Whenever someone takes something from the guild bank, or deposits into the guild bank, I want to get that information (who took it?, what did they take?, when did they take it?, what tab did they take it from?, and maybe anything else I can think of) and store it in a text file or something, and maybe put it on my website in the future. I have an extra character named "Bankmaster" that I use that is always standing at a bank, and I use an addon to sort my bank for me. So if the problem is needing a character to be logged on for it to work, that's plausible.

This information is already available in the default client. There is a guild bank log that contains almost all of the information. You could easily save this out to a saved variable file, and then upload that to your website. You cannot do this in realtime.. at best you can collect it and then reload the user interface afterwards. Then you need to upload the file. In short, non-trivial, but possible.

Also, I think it would be really nice if my "Bankmaster" character could whisper to my main character when any item(s) are taken and what they are in game. My guild has had a small problem with theft, nothing too serious, but I'd like to find out more.

Sure, that's not terribly difficult. There is an event that fires when the state of the guild bank changes, although I think it's only for the tab you are watching.

Thanks guys, and I cannot wait to start reading the book when it arrives!

Let us know what you think!

3. I hate to say it...but the default client sucks when it comes to Guild Bank Log...it only shows like...the past few hours or something. It's just not very good at keeping a decent log. I need my log to be more long term.

So...you're saying I might be able to watch the guild bank, and save info to a file whenever something changes. Care about showing me how to do something like that?

4. I don't really have time to write the addon for you, and working to figure out specifically what events you need to watch for and the general process you need to take amounts to about the same thing.

1. Determine if an event fires when someone else moves/changes something in the guildbank. You can use DevTools to do this. Simply run /dtevents and then wait for a change to happen and look at the events.

2. Write some code that scans the guild bank to save the entire state of things. You'll need this to figure out what is missing.

3. When someone changes the bank, compare the new state to the previous state and figure out what went missing. Then compare it to the guild bank log to get information about who/what/where/when.

4. Store this out. This is the difficult part. In order to do this, you need to reload the user interface. This will close the guild bank, so whenever you decide to save you may potentially miss items that are moved during that period of time. Perhaps only save the information out when no one else in the guild is online?