1. I started chapter 1, saving the text document in the wow addon folders as .lua and .toc. I also put all the text the book says in the document, and I was wondering, am I supposed to put in a tab or space before the next line of text or do I just not press enter at all. I downloaded the file from the website and it looks like there is no enters, just one big line. What am I supposed to be doing there? Also when I save the files as .lua and .toc, is still seems not to work. I know they are saved in the right spot (wow/interface/addons/heythere) but they dont show up in the addon tabs when I'm at the character selection screen.

2. I started chapter 1, saving the text document in the wow addon folders as .lua and .toc. I also put all the text the book says in the document, and I was wondering, am I supposed to put in a tab or space before the next line of text or do I just not press enter at all. I downloaded the file from the website and it looks like there is no enters, just one big line. What am I supposed to be doing there? Also when I save the files as .lua and .toc, is still seems not to work. I know they are saved in the right spot (wow/interface/addons/heythere) but they don't show up in the addon tabs when I'm at the character selection screen.

When saving the files, are you adding the default *.txt extension by mistake? You should change the file type to All Files when you first save a new file to avoid it adding .txt to the file name. You should disable the Windows option to Hide File Extensions, if you haven't already, to make it easier to see if this happens with your files. You can also edit incorrect file extensions when they are visible.

When you open the website files and it all appears as one big line, this is normal. They saved the files using a different hidden "newline" character than Notepad normally uses. You can open the files in Wordpad, and Wordpad will recognize it and wrap the lines more intelligibly. It makes them easier to view, but be careful if you save a TOC, Lua or XML file from Wordpad to change the file type to a Text Document, so it doesn't embed any hidden formatting.

You can search for editors specifically supporting Lua and XML. These editors often add color, etc., to help identify keywords, hierarchy, etc. I have recently been using Notepad++ but it has it's own idiosyncrasies and will probably look further for something more my style.

I do not know about the TOC file, but Lua can be case-sensitive, so watch your "AbC" vs "aBc".

I am also just beginning read through the book, so it may have captured some of these issues further in. It already leaves a newbie hanging in a few places. I have some drafty holes in my knowledge and needed the starter, but I am able to get around their holes.

One of the first things I noted is their HeyThere addon is already out-of-date, and you would have to check "Load Out of Date Addons" to get it to run at all. I am surprised there is no errata capturing this, or at least an up-to-date version of the sample files.

Good luck!

3. The change is a one-line change to the table of contents file, and that's explained in the book. I would have to post a new version of the files and a new errata for every single addon every single time WoW is upgraded. That's not something I am able to do.

All other errata is listed here: http://wowprogramming.com/chapters/errata_2ed