1. So I just made a new addon, but it doesn't appear in the list of addons on the character screen. I'm not sure why; It's in the right place...Maybe I made a coding mistake? I'm thinking I made an XML error; I'm not too good with it yet.

    toc:

     ## Interface: 13329
     ## Tile: Helping with the Fishing
     ## Author: Kaleesh
     ## Notes: An Okami-themed fishing addon!
    
     Helping with the Fishing.lua
     Helping with the Fishing.xml
    

    xml:

     - <Ui xmlns="http://www.blizzard.com/wow/ui/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.blizzard.com/wow/ui/ ..\FrameXML\UI.xsd">
       <Script file="Helping with the Fishing.lua" /> 
     - <Frame name="MyEventFrame">
     - <Scripts>
       <OnLoad>self:RegisterEvent("SPELL_UPDATE_USABLE")</OnLoad> 
       </Scripts>
       </Frame>
       </Ui>
    

    lua:

     MyEventFrame = CreateFrame("Frame","MyEventFrame",UIParent)
     MyEventFrame:RegisterEvent("SPELL_UPDATE_USABLE")
     if event == "SPELL_UPDATE_USABLE" then
         if IsUsableAction(88868) then
            PlaySoundFile("Interface\\AddOns\\Helping With The Fishing\\Helping with the Fishing.mp3")
        end
     end
    

    The layout should be as follows

    Interface\AddOns\HelpingWithTheFishing

    Interface\AddOns\HelpingWithTheFishing\HelpingWithTheFishing.toc

    Interface\AddOns\HelpingWithTheFishing\HelpingWithTheFishing.lua

    Remove all whitespaces

    chapter 1 for details :)

    Ah, I just noticed that notepad never converted the toc file properly. It was just .toc.txt.

    So I got that part working, but now, basically, the addon doesn't do anything. Not sure how to figure out what's going wrong; there aren't errors that wowlua is picking up on. Basically I want a song to play when I fish. I figured I'd have it play when I am able to cast the Fishing spell. But I don't think I coded it properly.

    The interface number should be 40000 currently, not whatever you have it listed here. The best way to test and see what is going on in your addon is to add some print statements. Add a print statement to indicate that your .lua file is being loaded, and another that the event is being called. This will help you narrow down what is happening.